Monday, June 11, 2007

The Sopranos - A grande finale or major disappointment?

I didn't really intend to use this blog to write about entertainment related topics, but with the unexpected ending of the Sopranos final episode, I couldn't resist.

I'll have to admit, I didn't start really getting into The Sopranos on HBO until last year. By "really getting into" it, I mean intentionally carving out my Sunday evenings, cancelling plans, doing whatever it takes to catch the episode. Hindsight shows me it probably would have been a good idea to upgrade to the DVR... Prior to 2006, I was a fair-weather fan, tuning in only when it was convenient, crossed my mind, or the only thing "good" on TV. Thank goodness A&E has started re-broadcasting the earlier episodes. I can finally catch up on everything I missed!

Regardless of my viewing commitment issues, I was really looking forward to the final episode. Poised and ready on the sofa for a really great ending, my husband and I were debating which of the remaining characters were going to get whacked. Would it be Tony? Paulie? Would A.J. step up to the plate and join his father?

Then. Fade to black.

What?!?!

It left so many questions unanswered. Yet it also brought up a few of more, like "will there be a movie?" and "what was the significance of the fade out?" A few people I know believed Tony was shot. To support this theory, they pointed out in more than one episode, Tony repeated the question "Do you ever hear the one that gets you?", and his family would often reference his advice to "make the most of the good times". My interpretation is not as gloomy. I think the Soprano family was given a chance to continue on as they always have with new challenges, and problems. Carmela was seen looking over plans for a beach house. Would Tony finally stop cheating on his wife, and would they settle down to live a quiet, more modest existence by the beach now that both children are fully grown? A.J. and Meadow both seem happy, and are looking forward to promising futures. I prefer to assume Tony does not die, and instead gets to spend his remaining time (before his looming trial date) making the most of the good times with his family.

I guess we'll just have to continue guessing, or resolve to feel confident in our own interpretations. Thanks David Chase for a great run.


Get HBO free for 3 months with Dish Network

No comments:

*Promotional Offers: require participation in DHA-24. 3 Months Free: requires qualifying programming, including AT100 or higher, DishLATINO or higher, DishHD package or a select qualifying International package. Customer receives 3 credits of $39.99 each, applied to the 1st, 10th and 20th months of service. Customer must maintain qualifying programming service to receive all three credits. DHPP: After 9 free months of DHPP, customer must call to downgrade or then-current price will apply.

National Programming Service, LLC d/b/a AllAmericanDirect.com is an authorized independent contractor retailer of DISH Network L.L.C. DISH, DISH Network and DISH Network logos are registered trademarks and/or service marks of DISH Network L.L.C. and/or its affiliate(s). The DISH Network trademarks and/or service marks are used by authority of DISH Network L.L.C. and/or its applicable affiliate(s).